School Librarians x 2
The JCSP Demonstration Library Project is inviting applications for the positions of JCSP School Librarian. The employer for these positions is the City of Dublin ETB and the positions will be based at:
- Larkin Community College, Dublin 1
- Enniscorthy Community College, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
These are temporary, full-time positions (work-share / career break cover). Initial contracts will be for 1 year.
Requirements and Job Description
These posts are open to individuals who hold a Primary Degree in Library and Information Science, or an equivalent qualification (to degree or postgraduate level) that is recognised by the Library Association of Ireland
The school librarians work as part of a network of librarians in the Project. They are responsible, together with key school staff, for drawing up and implementing library strategies to tackle the literacy difficulties experienced by many JCSP students.
Applicants should have a number of the following:
· An interest in working with teenagers in the context of educational disadvantage and an interest in literacy development
· Experience of managing all aspects of a library
· The ability to work as part of an existing and expanding team to develop every aspect of the national project
· A willingness to work as part of a research team and to input into the ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of the project
· Excellent organisational, ICT, communication skills and interpersonal skills
· The ability to prepare regular reports and to develop student support materials
Duties will include:
· Maintaining and developing a high quality school library which prioritises the needs of the JCSP students; this will be done in conjunction with the Senior Project Librarian,
· Liaising with, and reporting to, the Senior Project Librarian and the Principal of the school in which you are located on all matters relating to the establishment, running and maintenance of the library and all accompanying literacy and numeracy based programmes.
· Liaising with the Senior Project Librarian, the JCSP Support Service, under the management of the PDST, the school JCSP co-ordinator and the Principal and teaching staff, in designing and delivering library-based programmes to tackle literacy and numeracy difficulties as experienced by JCSP students.
· Continuous and ongoing engagement with the JCSP students in your school to ensure that they use the school library effectively.
· Managing the library budget
· Adaptation of structures and procedures in your library to ensure that the JCSP students derive maximum benefit from the library project.
· Participating in, and contributing to, the research of the JCSP Demonstration Library Project including collection and collation of research information.
· Drawing up a Library Policy and a Library Development Plan to meet the needs of your particular school.
· Monitoring and evaluating library-based projects on an ongoing basis and producing written reports on same on a monthly basis.
· Management and administration of the Scooter library management system
· Supporting the implementation of JCSP initiatives, exhibitions and projects.
· Attending Project related meetings.
· Participating in and supporting the development of the JCSP profiling process.
· Participating in the drawing up and implementation of in-service programmes and materials related to the JCSP Demonstration Library Project as required.
The duties and responsibilities of School Librarians under the JCSP Demonstration Library Project may vary in accordance with emerging needs and development of the Project as determined by the Department of Education, the City of Dublin Education and Training Board and the Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST).
The salary scale will be linked to the local authority Grade VI (Executive Librarian) scale: €49,040 – €59,913
Garda vetting will apply.
For informal enquiries please contact Kathleen Moran, Senior Project Librarian
The closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday 28th July 2022. Applications should be made by email to email@example.com and should include a cover letter, current detailed CV and written references (if available).
Interviews for this position will take place in early August and the start date will be mid to late August 2022.