Several authors, illustrators etc. are running online workshops, creating free content and/or competitions at the moment .
Free Author Content and Workshops
- Draw With Don – the legendary Don Conroy has a new YouTube channel!
- Kids mindfulness classes from Bressie – on Instagram Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s at 5pm, they will be saved on his Facebook page too
- Harry Potter at Home – new content from JK Rowling to keep us occupied at home. The first book in the Harry Potter series is now available on Audible for free, and the ebook and audiobook is on our Digital Library app Sora with no waiting lists and in many languages.
- Goodnight with Dolly – From April 2nd Dolly Parton will be reading bedtime stories on Imagination Library’s Instagram
- RTE Jr and Dave Rudden– A masterclass on writing with one of Ireland’s top authors.
- Author and Laureate na nÓg, Sarah Crossan, is live on Instagram every day at noon @sarahcrossanwriter if you know a young person in need of inspiration -or even for yourself she’s great for writing prompts, workshops, Q&A sessions.
- Children’s autor Sarah Webb is making Creative Bursts
- Alex T. Smith – Sharing Story Starters for creative writing/drawing.
- Alan Nolan – Draw along sessions with hilarious jokes!
- Big Smoke Writing Factory – For online courses in creative writing.
- Picture book artist and author Oliver Jeffers has some fantastic picture books and each evening he is reading his books live and telling the story behind making them on his Instagram live at 6pm
- Mama G Combining Drag, Panto and stories this is a spectacular storytime via Facebook.
- StorylineOnline – actors reading picture books
- Dublin City Libraries @dubcilib introduced us to Earful the library seagull, who speaks Dublinese and likes chips and ice-cream. However, as there are very few humans about the chips are down and he’s a bit out of sorts. They are asking people to write him a poem, draw a picture and share it.
- Illustrator Rob Biddulph #DRAWWITHROB is posting some draw-along videos that parents could watch with their kids .
- At Home with Kwame Alexander Free writing, reading, and learning resources for students
- Stay at Home With Chris Haughton
- Derek Landy – video Skulduggery themed story prompts posted daily on Instagram
- Neil Gaiman Reads The Graveyard Book Watch the latest Neil Gaiman videos and see Neil (and some famous friends!) read The Graveyard Book and Coraline in their entirety.
- Micheal Rosen – School closure resources
- David Walliams books read aloud
- More listed here on Book Trust
- Here is a daily timetable of Children’s Book related events 🌟
- Usborne Books – Loads of apps, activity sheets and competitions.
- The O’Brien Press – Have a design a book cover competition going until the 1st of May
- Fighting Words– Are asking children to send them their stories.
- We Love Books Podcast from RTÉ Jr. with competition
You can listen to the podcast on RTÉ, Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts from. The Competition: We Love Books is launching a nationwide writing competition. If you’re in third to sixth class, we want YOU to get wild, get weird and get writing. Entries must be 500 words or under and the deadline is April 13th.
- Design A Cover Competition: Children’s Books Ireland has joined with The O’Brien Press to give children the opportunity to have their artwork featured on the cover of a professionally published book. They are looking for help in re-jacketing Gordon Snell’s The Supermarket Ghost.
- JCSP Librarians are running Creative Writing Competitions and an Art competition called SprINK for the month of April. Contact your JCSP Librarian for more details.