As well as online reading resources here there are many ways to look after you wellbeing at home. Here are a few…
education.ie/covid19/wellbeing – The Department of Education and Skills’ NEPS psychologists have developed advice and some resources for young people to manage and stay well when schools are closed.
- Gonoodle.com -This is a very popular website that has movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. It is available for free at school, home, and everywhere kids are!
- Super Troopers with Laya Healthcare – Super Troopers with Laya Healthcare is a programme which encourages children and their families to live happier and more active lifestyles. Through short burst, fun daily activities around physical activity, wellbeing and nutrition, this programme helps to promote healthy minds and bodies. They also have some great COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Germ Busting activities.
- Eclipse Stage school – Eclipse Stage school in Dublin have free dance routines and workouts to trendy pop music that will appeal to teens
- Free PE lessons with The Body Coach – Joe Wicks is providing free PE lessons every weekday morning live at 9am.
- K‘s Perfect Fitness TV – Free bodyweight workouts for teens from K’s Perfect Fitness TV
- Yoga with Adrienne – Free Yoga workout for teens from Yoga with Adrienne
- Amazon Prime Video is making a selection of family-friendly and programming for kids available for free streaming
- Kaleidoscope – Games, activities and recipes for busy kids.
- Nosy Crow – Plenty of activities and colouring to keep all ages busy.
- Scouts Indoor Activities
- List of worshops and competitions to keep the mind occupied
- We Love Books – A podcast about children’s books.
- Myths and Legends – stories, myths and legends that have shaped the world.
- Get Mortified – storytelling podcast of adults telling their most embarassing stories that happened to them as teens!
- 99% Invisible – how design impacts our lives
- Irish History Podcast – major events in Irish history but also lesser known stories.
- Girls with goals – selection of inspiring Irish women who come from every walk of life; from business entrepreneurs and singers and Olympians all who have an interesting story and perspective to share.
- Live webcams including wildlife & Northern Lights
- Virtual museum tours
- Stage shows, musicals and opera free to watch online
- Google Earth tours
- Marine Biology Camp
- Family Days Out list of virtual tours
- Globe Shakespeare plays
- The Happy Newspaper A great resource for some good news, this allows you to print out your own newspaper. With so many serious and unpleasant stories in the news this will help you to allow children to take control of the media, or even record the happy moments of their own day.
- Louise Shanagher If your children are struggling with anxiety or mental health during this stressful time, Louise Shanagher has amazing resources, books and techniques based around mindfulness and mental health for children.
- Me and My Fear Resource pack, poster and activity kit regarding coping with fear.
- Spunout.ie is a brilliant website for young people and it has a huge amount of information about COVID-19, together with researched facts and tips for coping. It explains some of the fake news about the virus and has an excellent health section where you can explore topics such as dealing with panic attacks and anxiety, mental health, exercise etc. Spunout.ie also has an option through the website to text trained volunteers if you feel you would like to talk to someone.
- Childline is an excellent website, worth exploring for information on stress, mental health, staying safe online, dealing with emotions and relationships and of course, COVID-19. Also, Childline is a support service and if you are feeling the need to talk or get help then you can email, text or phone them
- Jigsaw Many of you may be familiar with Jigsaw as they have visited our school to speak with senior students. The Jigsaw website also has excellent information and videos on dealing with life and possible issues during the pandemic.
- Kids mindfulness classes from Bressie – on Instagram Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s at 5pm, they will be saved on his Facebook page too
- Cosmic Kids Yoga
- Headspace for Educators
- Headspace free meditations for anyone called Weathering the storm. It includes meditations, sleep, and movement exercises to help you out
- Smiling Mind
- Simple Habit